Faculty of Religion
The Faculty of Religion is a voluntary association of teachers. It started functioning in 1978 with the objective of moulding a community that is intellectually mature, morally upright, emotionally stable, spiritually inspired and socially committed. The Faculty spearheads a chain of activities in fulfillment of this aim and with the express intent of giving a better formation to students than is provided by an exclusively secular curriculum.
The Faculty conducts religious instruction classes regularly for students. It also organizes retreats, seminars, orientation programmes, HRD programmes, prayer meetings etc. both for students and the teaching and non-teaching staff.
NL 2010 – 2011Pg 38
NL 2008 – 09 Pg 42
Executive Committee of the Faculty of Religion
A. Ex-officio Members
|Patron||Mar Joseph Kallarangattu (Bishop of Palai)|
|Dean (Manager)||Rev. Dr.K.M. Joseph Kollamparambil|
|President (Principal)||Dr. K. K. Jose Kanichukattu|
|Director Co-ordinator||Rev. Fr. Joseph N.V. (Vice Principal)
Dr. K.K. Jose (Politics)
|Secretary||- Dr. Baby Thomas (Malayalam)|
|Treasurer||Dr. V.V. Georgekutty (Commerce)|
|Office Secretary||Shri. K.V. John (Commerce)|
St. Thomas society for science and religion
The St. Thomas Society for Science and Religion is founded in the college with the following objectives
- To encourage greater understanding of the religious and spiritual significance of science for the benefit of humanity
- To promote the study of science and religion in a network of groups consisting of members of the faculty and staff and students of the college as well as those of neighbouring institutions of higher learning, high schools and the local community,
- To increase awareness in recent scientific discoveries and the ethical and moral issues posed by them and to encourage participation of individuals in science-religion dialogue
- To train the youth to give more emphasis for values and morality in the modern scientific society.
The society conducts seminars, discussions and debates on topics related to science and religion in the college. It organizes outreach programmes as well.
Office Bearers of the Society
|Chairman||Dr. K. K. Jose (Principal)|
|Vice-Chairman||Rev. Fr. N. V. Joseph Njarakkattu (Vice Principal)|
|Secretary||Rev. Dr. James John Mangalathu (History)|
|Joint Secretary||Dr. Jomy Augustine (Botany)|
|Treasurer||Dr. G.D. Gem Mathew (Chemistry)|
All Kerala Intercollegiate Essay Competition
The St. Thomas Society for Science and Religion, functioning in the college, organized an All Kerala Intercollegiate Essay Competition for college students during February 2010. The topics for the essay were:
1. The need for Ethical and Moral Considerations in Modern Scientific Developments."
2. Cloning and Genetic Modification in Human Beings - Scientific and Ethical Implications
The following three were awarded the first second and third prizes of Rs. 3000/-Rs. 2000/-and Rs.1000/- in cash and certificates.
I Prize – Ms. Gem Cherian, II MA English, Christian College Chengannur.
II Prize – Mr. Sharone K. Meeran, II B.A. English, Mar Athanasius College, Kothamangalam
III Prize- Ms. Jeena Mohan, II M.Sc. Botany, ST. Thomas College, Pala