St. Thomas @ a Glance

We are famous for our rich tradition of academic pursuits over years. We have an efficient group of teachers who have dedicated themselves for the academic excellence of the college. Our students are treading on the path of excellence and we instill in them a passion to be innovative, dynamic, smart and socially committed.

Through the Past

1948 July 3 A meeting presided over by Very Rev. Fr. Emmanuel Mecherikunnel, Vicar St. Thomas Forane Church, Pala was held to complete the formalities for submitting application for starting the college.
August 15 Application for the college submitted to Travancore University.
October 21 Sanction obtained from the university.
1949 August 22 Fr. Mani Sebastian Vayalilkalapura (Mar Sebastian Vayalil) elected president of the college committee.
1950 January Dr. P.J. Thomas, Economic Advisor to the Govt. of India, appointed Principal.
April 16 The foundation stone of the main building laid by His Grace Dr. Mathias S.D.B., Archbishop of Madras.
August 7 St. Joseph’s Block blessed and Intermediate classes begun. The papal order forming Palai Diocese and appointing Mar Sebastian Vayalil as its Bishop received.
November 9 The episcopal ordination of Mar Sebastian Vayalil, the first Bishop of Palai.
1952  April 15 Rev. Fr. Joseph Kureethadam appointed Principal.
October 26 Foundation stone of Christu Raj Hostel laid by Mar. Sebastian Vayalil.
1953 June B.Sc. Mathematics., B.Sc. Botany and B.A. Economics begun.
December 1 “Tisserant Hall” (A - Block) blessed by H.E.Eugene Cardinal Tisserant.
1954 June B.Sc. Chemistry begun. Jawaharlal Nehru, Prime Minister of India, visits the College.
1955 June B.Sc. Zoology and B.A. Politics started.
1956 June Pre-university course replaces Intermediate course. Mrs. Indira Gandhi visits the college.
1957 February 2 Inauguration of Christu Raj Hostel by Dr. B. Rama Krishna Rao, Governor of Kerala.
  June Three year degree course introduced B.Sc. Physics started. The first P.G. course, M.A. Hindi, started. Msgr. Philip Valiyil takes over as Manager.
December 21 Inauguration of the swimming pool by Shri. B. Ramakrishna Rao, Governor of Kerala.
1959 June M.A. Politics, M.Sc. Statistics and B.A. Malayalam started.
1961 June M.Sc. Botany, B.A. English and B.Com. introduced.
1962 February 19 Inauguration of the auditorium and the library building (B-Block) by Shri. V.V. Giri, Governor of Kerala.
1963 March The Students' Centre opened
  June Girls admitted to the P.G. and Pre-university courses
1964 June M.Sc. Chemistry started
  June Two year Pre-Degree course introduced in place of P.U.C.
1965 June M.A English and M.Sc. Physics started.
1966 June B.A., B.Sc. reorganized and B.Sc. (Special) course introduced.
1967 January A week-long Arts Festival. Fathima Matha hostel blessed by Mar Sebastian Vayalil. German and Latin introduced as Pre-Degree second languages. M.A. Economics and M.Sc. Mathematics started. C-Block opened.
1968 February 10 Msgr. Kureethadam retires and Rev. Dr. N.M. Thomas takes over as Principal on 11-02-1968.
1969 May ‘Students’ Lunch Home opened.
1970 July Hindi Dept. becomes an approved Research Centre (Ph.D.)
1973 August 15 Bishop Joseph Pallikaparampil’s episcopal ordination.
  Mar Joseph Pallikaparampil takes over as Manager.
1974 April 30 St. Philip’s Hostel blessed and inaugurated by Mar Sebastian Vayalil.
1976 February 12 St. Thomas College celebrates its Silver Jubilee with Prime Minister Mrs. Indira Gandhi as the chief guest.
March 31 Dr. N.M. Thomas retires and Prof. P.M. Chacko takes over as Principal on 01-04-1976.
June Bio-Chemistry offered as subsidiary for B.Sc. Chemistry.
1978 August 2 The University Study Centre opened.
1979 August Shift system introduced for the Pre-Degree Course.
October Students' Centre extended.
1980 March 29 Foundation stone for the new P.G. Block (G. Block) laid by Mar Sebastian Vayalil.
1981 March 25 Mar Sebastian Vayalil retires and Mar Joseph Pallikaparampil takes over as the Bishop of Palai and Patron of the College.
May 1 Msgr. Kurian Vanchipurackal appointed Manager of the College.
July Pre-Degree Commerce group begun.
December M.Com. begun.
1983 March Bishop Vayalil Block (G Block) opened by Sri. P. Ramachandran, Governor of Kerala. Affiliation of the College gets transferred from Kerala University, hiruvananthapuram to Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam. [UGC letter No. F8-53/84 (CP/MP) dtd 26.12.1984].
November 1 Shift system discontinued.
1984 March Msgr. Kureethadam Hall opened
  Bishop Vayalil Gate Inaugurated.
  August 8 Prof. P.M. Chacko retires and Fr. James Vellankal succeeds him as Principal.
  June 1 Msgr. Joseph Mattam appointed Manager
1986 March 31 Fr. James Vellankal retires and Fr. O.P. Eanas takes charge as Principal.
November 21 Mar Sebastian Vayalil passes away.
  December Depts. of English, Politics and Chemistry become approved Research Centres.
1991 July 6 The new Physics Lab inaugurated by Mar Joseph Pallikaparampil.
March 19 Fr. O.P. Eanas retires.
March 20 Fr. Philip Njaralakatt takes over as Principal.
September Jimmy George Memorial Stadium inaugurated by Shri. M.M. Jacob, Minister for Home Affairs, Govt. of India.
1995 March 31 Fr. Philip Njaralakatt retires.
April 1 Rev. Dr. Kurian Mattam appointed Principal.
July 29 Rev. Fr. Philip Njaralakatt becomes the Manager.
November M.A. Malayalam started.
1996 February Malayalam Dept. becomes an approved Research Centre
June B.A. Communicative English started.
1997 June 12 Departments of Mathematics and Statistics approved as Research Centres.
1998 June Pre-Degree delinking begins.
  August 26 Chief Minister E.K. Nayanar inaugurates the Golden Jubilee Celebration of Indian Independence
    Foundation stone for the new Library Block laid by Mar Joseph Pallikaparampil.
November 24 B.Sc. Chemistry-Vocational (Semester system) started.
1999 December 13 B.A. History-Vocational (Semester system) started.
2000 January 1 Golden Jubilee Celebrations of the College - Millennium Expo’ and ‘Millennium Nites’ (January 1-10) inaugurated by Sri. M.M. Jacob, Governor of Meghalaya.
February Visit of the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC).
August 8 St. Thomas College Computer Institute started.
December 12 Research Centre in Physics inaugurated by Dr. Cyriac Thomas, Vice Chancellor, M.G. University.
2001 March 5 Valedictory of the Golden Jubilee celebrations of the College.
March 31 Rev. Dr. Kurian Mattam retires . Rev. Dr. M.M. Mathew Maleparampil takes over as Principal on 01-04-2001. Pre-Degree delinking completed.
  June Semester system introduced for P.G. courses
August M.Sc. (IT) course started.
2002 May Botany Dept. becomes an approved research centre.
October 4 Centre for Mathematical Sciences inaugurated.
October 21 M.Sc. Biotechnology started. Blessing of the Health Club by Mar Joseph Pallikaparampil
December 22 Dept. of Statistics selected for DST-FIST support
2003 February 15 St. Thomas College emerges as Champion College in Kerala Games.
2004 March 31 DST-FIST Computer lab of the Dept. of Stastistics set up.
April 20 New library building blessed by Mar Joseph Pallikaparampil.
May 2 Mar Joseph Pallikaparampil retires and Mar Joseph Kallarangatt takes over as the Bishop of Palai and Patron of the college.
July 26 Dr. P. J. Thomas Centre for Social Science & Research inaugurated.
August 4 M.Sc. Applied Microbiology started.
2005 February 1 Very Rev.Msgr. O.P. Eanas Ottathengunkal appointed Manager of the college.
Augst 18 M. Sc. Biostatistics started under UGC Innovative Programme.
2006 March 16 Golden Jubilee Library inaugurated by H. E. Mar Joseph Kallarangatt.
March 30 UGC sponsored Biostatistics Computer Lab inaugurated.
March 31 Rev. Dr. M.M. Mathew Maleparampil retires and Rev. Dr. Mathew John K. takes over as Principal on 01-04-2006.
August 7 Releasing of a detailed history of the college.
2007 February 21 Reaccreditation by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC).
2008 February 14 Czech Ambassador Dr. Hynek Kmonicek inaugurates National Seminar on “Emerging Europe: Prospects and Challenges for Asia”.
  March 1 Dept. of Botany selected for DST-FIST support.
2009 January 19 Sacredotal Golden Jubilee Celebrations of H.E. Bishop Mar Joseph Pallikaparampil - Family Get-together of members of staff.
  February 2 Dept. of Chemistry selected for DST-FIST support.
  April 20 Rev. Dr. Mathew John Kokkattu relieved and Dr. K.K. Jose Kanichukattu takes over as Principal on 21-04-09.
  June 7 Choice-based Credit and Semester System at UG level introduced by M.G. University.
2010 February 27 Diamond Jubilee Celebrations of the college inagurated by Justice K.G. Balakrishnan, Chief Justice of India.
  March 20 College selected by UGC for College with Potential for Excellence status.
2011 February 26 Very.Rev. Dr. K.M. Joseph Kollamparampil appointed Manager of the college.
  March 3 National Commission for Minority Education Institutions confers minority status to the college.
2012 February 17 All science departments of the college selected for DST-FIST support.
  June 11

Dr. C.N.R. Rao, Chairman, Prime Minister’s Scientific Advisory Committee visits   the college for ICMST 2012.

  September 6 Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam visits the college.
  September 7

CSS introduced for PG courses.

  October 1           Mar Jacob Muricken ordinated as Auxiliary Bishop of Palai.
  December 10     Foundation stone for Students’ Centre laid by Mar Jacob Muricken.
2013 January 1           Mar Jacob Muricken appointed manager of the college.
  January 30         Very Rev. Msgr.Dr. Joseph Kollamparambil appointed Promanager.
  June 3 

B.Sc. Sports studies started under UGC Innovative Programme.

  July 3

BCA and BCom with Computer Application started.

  August 12 Renovated Student Amenities Centre and Canteen Blessed by Mar Joseph   Kallarangatt.
  September 12 Foundation day and Alumni day Celebrations inaugurated by Dr.Shashi Tharoor , Honorable Union Minister of State for HRD.
  December 13 Foundation stone of Sports Complex lay by H E Mar Joseph Kallarangattu, in the presence of Mar Jacob Muricken, Mar Joseph Pallickaparambil and Sri. K.M. Mani
2014 February 15 University grants affiliation to M A History.
  March 31 Dr. K. K. Jose Kanichukattu retires.
  April 1 Dr. K. K. Jose Kanichukattu retires and Rev. Fr. N. V. Joseph Njarakattil takes over as Principal on 01-04-2014.
  Dec 1 B. Voc. Courses started.
2015 Feb 23–25 Visit of The National Assessment & Accreditation Council (NAAC).
  May 31 Rev. Fr. N. V. Joseph Njarakkattil retires. Dr.Sunny Joseph Panjikunnel takes over as Principal on 01-06-2015